November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Deck Construction Class

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Deck Construction Class   Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Welcome Class! My name is Zhane Love! A short man with long blonde hair paces in front of the classroom talking feverishly with a smile. In this class I will you teach you the finer points of refining a deck and go into exactly why you should have 40 card decks and when it is okay to break this rule. I will also go on about the ratios of spells traps and monsters and other exceptions! He then shuffles through some paperwork trying to find something. Ah, here it is! Now, class is in session. I will stretch your minds to think and explore. I say that to be a truly good duelist you must have memorized at least roughly 70% of the cards, for more advanced in the advanced I expect 95% memorization. The teacher shifts his hair and then takes a deep breath. For the first order of business I have an assignment. I want you all to make a deck. Now now, I am not giving any pre-requisites except for two. This deck must somehow resemble you as a duelist. It could be your tastes in things or your dueling style.The second is that it must have a side deck.I also want you to be able to tell my why you chose each specific card when I ask you. After all, a Duelist's Deck is their soul!

With a smile he began passing out papers for the assignment. It read something like this:

Student Name:

Deck Name:

Main Deck number of cards:
Monsters:
Spells:
Traps:

Does it have an Extra Deck? If so what are the cards?
Fusions:
Xyz:
Synchro:

Side Deck:

Reason why you chose this deck and how it resembles you:

After you are done with this assignment I will go over your decks individually and then give you the basics in general. No matter how advanced you are you must always be solid on the basics~ With a smile the teacher began shuffling his cards with a smile. His eyes seemed to look past the class behind them. As he was lost in thought he waited for his first student to turn in assignments. Also, you can duel me anytime as an assignment. Of course only with your decks made here. Ah that reminds me! I will do an example! This is not an amazing deck by any means but it is one of mine.

Deck List:

Reason why you chose this deck and it resembles you: I chose this deck because while I seem to be a good guy and am all for the light I have quite a dark side to me. Also like this deck I am unpredictable and spontaneous, each time is different. This deck fits my style because it is very aggressive by nature but can be adapted to different styles of play.

Oh yes I also found it necessary to mention this, but posting a picture of the deck is simply fine as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:46 pm

https://i.imgur.com/LVK48Dd.png
Reason why you chose this deck and it resembles you: I chose this deck because it is different just like me it does not conform to the other decks plus this deck is super harmless at first then it becomes a pain in the touchus
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:10 am

The teacher stops at Sweatycheese's desk and gets out a piece of paper. Hmmm, interesting. The idea is alright however something is simply off. Or rather, everything is. I'm sorry but you will make a perfect example of various mistakes. Now I do love the originality. I also do like the idea in general. Lion Heart into Number wall, however this deck has various flaws. Let's start. First off the basic part of making a deck to begin with is to start with STAPLE cards. Staple cards are cards that go well in almost every deck and need a reason NOT to include them. Perfect examples of these happen to be Dark Hole, Bottomless Trap Hole, Mystical Space Typhoon, among a few others. I see you happened to miss many excellent staples for this deck. Staples that should be in this deck. Another thing is this deck runs a high number of cards. The problem with this is that you have less of a chance to draw your combo pieces and the cards you need. You always want a 40 card deck, the notable exception is Gadget decks. Also sometimes Lightsworn is understandable but even there you would rather have 40 cards. With 40 cards the deck becomes consistent to play very well. As it is your deck seems to only stall until lion heart and has very little draw power. You happen to run a lot of frogs so maybe frog support would be beneficial. As well as running a lot of level ones so therefore Mystic Piper is a card that would be a great boon to your deck. Effect veiler would also be a great addition which allows for some synchro plays. Because all of your monsters are low level Junk Synchron could help as well. Hmm~ This deck is quite troublesome. It's messy and disorganized, quite like yourself. Then the teacher had a softer smile. However also like yourself it has great potential. Never give up on your decks students! Now I have an assignment for you Sweatycheese. I want you to take a look at this advice and fix your deck.z Also if I accepted it as is I would have to fail it. It was a requirement for it to have a side deck was it not? Move along now. I'll always allow you to redo assignments and I will take the time to go over them, unless you truly want to turn this in? The teacher promptly walked and started mentioning Black Luster Soldier, effect veiler, Magical Merchant, Junk Synchron and Armory Arm over again. BLS Armory Arm. That deck would be interesting. It is up to you if any student wishes to this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Sweatycheese: Lay off me professor this deck is good however just to satisfy u i made some changes mystic piper is now in my side deck, yes i actually have a side deck now plus i did a few renovations but this deck runs a lot better then ya think plus it is a uncommon deck which makes it more fun to play with and against
https://i.imgur.com/bpJB16Z.png
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:58 pm

The teacher checks your deck and smiles. I'm sorry if I offended you. All I wished for was a side deck really. I made some suggestions. Well the deck overall is unique and interesting. The side board hardly does anything to shut down annoying decks, however it is your unique choice. As such the exam will begin for you. I have a few questions that I want answered. The professor takes a look even further. Hmmmm. I wonder. Tell me, what is your reasoning for the following. One: A 42 card deck, it would further your consistency with less cards. However if you are under the impression that the extra 2 cards are necessary for the deck to function then I would like to know why. Two: I am curious about your side deck, why did you include three copies of Bunilla? Three: Why the cloudian monster? Are you unaware that tokens cannot be overlayed? Four: Why do you have magical cylinder? And three at that. If you were doing a burn deck then that is fine. However this cards stops only one attack and makes you lose card advantage. Five: Explain your extra deck? Should you not run a full 15? Is nothing else at least for the intimidation factor. Even if you cannot use any of them you should always have a full extra in my opinion. Chimeratech Fortress Dragon in the off chance they have a Cyber dragon. Synchros in case they creature swap you a tuner. A full copy off 3 of each of your XYZ's that you can play, you never know what a deck calls for. There are many different duels and situations.There are more things that can happen than you can imagine? As it is now I will give this deck a C, 75%. If you manage to give me excellent reasons the grade will increase. I will never decrease your grade from my reasoning. The teacher then shuffled your deck and tested it out in a mock battle. With a smile after he was done he passed the deck to you. Your move. I only wish for you to grow as a duelist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 am

sweatycheese: question 1 it barely changes my consistancy my deck has had great luck in my draws and i usually get the cards i need or want 2, my side deck is designed if i notice if a certain card is not working against a certain opponent and the 3 bunilla's may not be needed however a level 1 monster with 2050 def is pretty epic. 3 honestly no i was unaware tokens can't be overlayed but i know that now however they are still good to hold off my opponent. 4 magic cylinder is a great card and honestly this deck is kinda like a burn deck u use lion heart as eff damage to do huge amounts of damage. 5 my extra deck is only needing 3 lion hearts and a few other xyz in case they take out my other xyz i don't frankly care for intimidation if they want it they can come and get it hopefully my reasoning was sufficient for a grade bump if u don't like this u could always grade my battlin' boxers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:51 am

sweatycheese: question 1 it barely changes my consistancy my deck has had great luck in my draws and i usually get the cards i need or want 2, my side deck is designed if i notice if a certain card is not working against a certain opponent and the 3 bunilla's may not be needed however a level 1 monster with 2050 def is pretty epic. 3 honestly no i was unaware tokens can't be overlayed but i know that now however they are still good to hold off my opponent. 4 magic cylinder is a great card and honestly this deck is kinda like a burn deck u use lion heart as eff damage to do huge amounts of damage. 5 my extra deck is only needing 3 lion hearts and a few other xyz in case they take out my other xyz i don't frankly care for intimidation if they want it they can come and get it hopefully my reasoning was sufficient for a grade bump if u don't like this u could always grade my battlin' boxers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:01 pm

You say you have had great luck, however you would have better luck with a lower number. It is pure mathematics. I wanted to know why it is necessary to have more, that was unanswered. 2. I will admit that it is interesting, but it would be better to have something like System down or Soul Drain. 3. If that is the case Scapegoat would be a far better option, or mirror force or swift scarecrow, OR battle fader to name a few. 4. I disagree with it being great, however I do see as your deck does play similar to a burn deck. 5. If not for the intimidation, at least to hide what you are playing at first glance. Also duels can be interesting and intense, why I once had a game where I summoned all 15 synchros. I never put a tuner in my deck. This does merit a grade bump to a B. 85%. Now I would not mind grading your Battlin' Boxers if you wish to submit that instead. You are free to submit as many times as you like until you get the desired grade.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:19 pm

k here just to see how my battlin' boxer deck would do
https://i.imgur.com/RCc1buR.png
this deck represents me because it shows my fighting spirit and when u think you can knock me down i come back bigger and stronger than ever

Last edited by sweatycheese on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Good job on this deck I will give it a 97%. In fact I'd even say you impressed me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deck Construction Class   

Back to top Go down

Deck Construction Class
Page 1 of 1